Fall 2012 Pre-season Impressions


Someone said that all the Summer and Winter seasons would be good, and all the Spring and Fall seasons would suck. I took it with a pinch of salt back then, because while I do know about the trend, it wasn't big enough to affect my anime habits. Until now. Spring 2012 was nearly unwatchable, and Summer 2012 had more stuff than I had time to watch. Well... depends on how this season goes, I might spent most of my time marathoning older titles instead.

As usual, the list of anime (and general order) follows Neregate's chart. Whadaya know, there's a ton of new titles, and most of them I know next to nothing about, so I'll only be talking about the ones I'll be watching and the ones I'll be avoiding.

Stuff I'll watch:

Jormungand: Perfect Order
Have I mentioned that Jormungand is my favourite title in Spring 2012? The season may be so bad that I couldn't even name the top three titles, but Jormungand itself made the season bearable. I've been looking forward to this ever since it's announced.


Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
Hidamari Sketch is one of my favourite anime of all time. It was one of the first titles that got the shaft treatment, and the creativity (and popularity) increased dramatically every season. That probably isn't even why Hidamari got as popular as it did. It's one of the best, uniquely entertaining "healing" anime out there, after Aria. Of course this isn't something meant for everyone, but having a 4th season just shows how good it can be.

Girls und Panzer, Teekyuu
I know very little about these two, but it's okay. Like I've pointed out in my previous post, dumb premises like these could be mind-numbing fun if you don't over think it; it's not trying to boast a good story anyway. It's not like I'll hang on to it if it's full of bad moé or comedy. Seems like Tank would do pretty well and Tennis would be pretty bad, but we'll see.

Stuff I'll avoid:
Battle Spirits: Sword Eyes, Chou Soku Henkei Gyrozetter, Wooser no Sono Higurashi, Monsuno, Oshiri Kajiri Mushi, Cross Fight B-Daman eS, Aikatsu!

Who cares?
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Gintama, To Love-Ru: Darkness, Bakuman, Medaka Box Abnormal, Hiiro no Karera S2, Initial D 5th Stage
Sequels I didn't catch. Well, I actually went through Hayate and Medaka for a bit, but I had to stop before my brain decay any further. I actually (really) liked the Hayate and Medaka manga, but they are one of those that became absolute shit when animated, like Naruto.

Btooom!
It's one of those many, many titles that puts a bunch of people in an isolated place (usually an island) and make them kill each other, and the winner walks away a rich or a free man. I thought the trend died as quickly as it came, and this is a straggler that's still trying to milk a dead cow. I've read a fair bit of the manga and nope, there's nothing that sets this apart from the others. Except for a fuckton of rape, so unless that is your thing... well... I won't touch this with a ten-foot pole.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Jojo's one of the most famous and longest running title that somehow doesn't made it on screen. Can't blame anyone; Jojo's isn't exactly a pretty face by today's standards. And with that same reason I'll be avoiding this. David Productions have a way of surprising people's low expectations, but it's virtually impossible to win me over with this one.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne—
I think OreImo effectively spawn a whole new genre of incest between a guy and his little sister. It's a pity that literally all of them sucked. But of course, the rise in popularity means that it has its own market to cater to.

Suki-tte Ii na yo
I hate smut. Especially shoujo-styled smut.

Haitai Nanafa
So far, I've tried a fair number of 5-minute comedies. None of them were worth it, and it's unlikely this would be.

Seitokai no Ichizon S2
Although the first season ended in a pretty nice manner, I struggled to finish it. I didn't get all the references and it just isn't as funny or as interesting as Joshiraku.

No comments:

Post a Comment